The North Surrey Lions Club is looking forward to participating in the Downtown Surrey BIA’s Movies Under the Stars at Holland Park this August. The Club has participated every year since 2008 and loves to be part of this community event.
This year, the movies playing are:
- Saturday, August 6: The Minions
- Saturday, August 13: Inside-Out
- Saturday, August 20: Big Hero 6
- Saturday, August 27: Zootopia
We would like to thank Prospera for sponsoring the event and the Downtown Surrey BIA for planning it.
We hope you will come out and support the Club by buying a hot dog or two.
Although it was raining on Saturday, June 11, it didn’t dampen the spirits of all the volunteers who came out to build a Playground for the residents around Bolivar Park. Thank-you to all the volunteers. We would also like to thank Bruce Ralston, MLA, Sysco, Bread Garden Catering, Save-On-Foods, Port Mann Community Association and the Whalley Community Association.
Pub Night at Donegal’s Pub
(12054-96 Avenue, Surrey, BC)
Join us for a fun evening at Donegal’s Pub. Only $20 per person includes a burger & brew, fries, salad. There will be special draws and games. Stay longer – music and dancing starts at 8:30pm.
Tickets are available at the weekly Meat Draws held at Donegal’s every Sunday from 1-4pm or from any North Surrey Lions Club member.
For further information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Just before Christmas, the North Surrey Lions Club adopted 24 families through the Surrey Christmas Bureau. The hamper make-up and distribution went really well. It was such a pleasure to see such a great turn out with such enthusiasm and willingness to help those in need in our community.
The North Surrey Lions will again be running the barbecue at Movies Under the Stars presented by Prospera Credit Union at Holland Park every Saturday in August (August 1, 8, 15, 22, 29). Come out, buy a burger and enjoy the movie. All money we earn, goes to support community projects and charities.
August 1: Wreck It Ralph
August 8: Home
August 15: How to Train your Dragon 2
August 22: Cinderella
August 29: Big Hero 6
Did you see us on Global TV on June 21? Steve Darling and Sophie Lui helped with the pancakes. We served blueberry pancakes and fruit cups at the Surrey International World Music Marathon Kick-off.
This gallery contains 7 photos.
We helped re-open the Bridgeview Community Centre on July 9th!
This gallery contains 33 photos.
The playground was organized through KaBOOM, a non-profit group from Washington DC that believes every child should have a safe place to play. The funding Partner was Foresters Insurance who committed seven million dollars to build playgrounds throughout Canada and the US. Local partners were the City of Surrey and the North Surrey Lions Club who jointly applied for and received a KaBOOM grant.
But this playground wouldn’t have happened without a great deal of community support.
A big THANK-YOU to everyone who helped to make the playground a reality:
- The students at KB Woodward Elementary School who helped design the playground
- Foresters Insurance, for not only financial support, but also for their member volunteers
- Ted Uhrich and Jeff Graham from the City of Surrey Parks Department and Shira Standfield from the City of Surrey Beautification Planning for all their hard work and expertise
- The Playground Planning Committee and the Build Captains for their leadership and dedication
- A & W Restaurant on 102 Avenue who supplied breakfast for the two Prep Days and Build Day for the Volunteers
- Price Smart Foods Whalley for supplying fresh salad for Prep Days and Build Day
- Starbucks at Central City who supplied coffee for the Volunteers
- Bozzini’s Restaurant for supplying pizza on Friday for the Volunteers
- Jasbir Sandhu, MP Surrey North and Bruce Ralston, MLA Surrey Whalley for not only supplying lunch on Saturday but cooking and serving it as well
- Safeway for supplying sandwiches on Thursday for Volunteers
- Concord Security for sponsoring and providing a First Aid Attendant
- Central City Brewing Company for providing ice on some very hot days
- Surrey Crime Prevention Society for providing evening security for the site
- The City of Surrey Engineering Department for hooking up the water station
- The Downtown Surrey BIA for organizing the great DJ who kept everyone moving all day long as well as providing DSBIA interns, Supreet and Kaitlyn to organize the Children’s Participation Area
- The staff at Chuck Bailey Rec Centre for lending a number of items necessary to make the event a success
- Tom Zillich from the Now Newspaper who helped send out our call for Volunteers
- The staff from KaBOOM especially Katrina, Josh, Danielle and Jen
- And especially all the Volunteers – over 150 participants including Whalley Daycare staff and parents, Forester Insurance members, the YMCA Cultural Exchange Students and host families, the Kwantlen Park Leos Club, the Enver Creek Leos Club, the Earl Marriott Leos Club, Scouts from throughout the Lower Mainland, Forever Fitness staff and clients, Cloverdale Volunteer Firefighters, individual community members and last, but certainly not least, The Phoenix Society Red Shirt Volunteers.
The playground will amuse and excite the children who visit Whalley Athletic Park for many years to come. It will provide them with a great place to play, be active and create wonderful childhood memories.
Since 1957, the North Surrey Lions have been active community supporters and are proud to serve a City with such great community spirit. The North Surrey Lions Club would like to thank everyone who worked with us on this project.